The International History Olympiad is a competition organized by International Academic Competitions which is designed to bring the top history students from around the world together for an unforgettable eight days full of various competitions with a history-based theme, and a chance to meet students with similar interests and talents from around the world. The 2022 Olympiad will be held from July 25-August 1, 2022. The location will be announced in the spring of 2021. Registration will open in August 2021, unless circumstances due to Covid-19 deem it impossible to do so. If registration does open as expected in August 2021, participants should assume that the Olympiad will indeed be held in 2022, but they are encouraged to defer making travel plans until closer to the dates of the Olympiad. If due to the Covid-19 pandemic, the 2022 Olympiad needs to be pushed back, we have secured space at the same location for Summer 2023.
In contrast with other Olympiads for other disciplines, the International History Olympiad differs in a number of respects including the following:
1. Participants are divided into Elementary, Middle School, Junior Varsity, and Varsity Divisions depending on their birthdate and/or grade in school.
2. Beginning with the 2022 Olympiad, there is also a Collegiate Division for students. Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate (i.e. bachelor’s degree or equivalent) degree program in the calendar year 2022, have the intention of returning to complete undergraduate studies within 1-2 years of the Olympiad, and not have graduated high school in 2022 (such students play in the Varsity Division). The Collegiate Division will consist of the buzzer-based quiz events only, and will be conducted solely online.
3. Numerous events are held, but only one gold, one silver, and one bronze medal will be distributed per event, per division (though on team events, all team members in medal position receive medals).
4. Citizens and residents of the USA represent their state, not their country.
5. There is no limit to the number of students per country or state who can qualify or attend (with the exception of overall Olympiad field cap numbers as stated by IAC).
6. Qualification is conducted through participation in International History Bee and Bowl events, the National Championships of the National History Bee and Bowl in the USA, or a qualifying exam for eligible students. Beginning with the 2022 Olympiad, students can also qualify for the Historical Simulation Track of the Olympiad by either having won a Best Delegate Award in any committee at a Model UN, Model Congress, Model EU, or comparable event, or by having won any award in a Historical Simulation (which are often held as part of the aforementioned events).
7. The events of the Olympiad are tailored to meet the requirements of a normally non-quantitative discipline such as history.
For more information, please explore our website, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions you may have. Thanks for your interest in the International History Olympiad!