At the Olympiad, each student will have a specific affiliation (i.e. country or US State). You are eligible to compete for a country or US State if any of these methods apply to you:
- You have citizenship of that country (or for India, are an Overseas Citizen of India) as of July 1, 2023.
- You were born in a particular country or US state.
- The country or state for which you were a permanent resident for the majority of the 2022-2023 academic year (August 2022-June 2023).
- The country or state for which you are a permanent resident on July 1, 2023.
- The country or state in which you were enrolled in school for the majority of the 2022-2023 academic year (August 2022-June 2023).
- The country or state in which you most recently attended school as of July 1, 2023.
Each student may only select one affiliation. Affiliations may not be modified after July 1, 2023.
Students from Hong Kong and Macau or with passports from those locations may play either for them or for the People’s Republic of China. Students from North Korea will play on a unified Korea team. Students from subnational territories should contact Olympiad staff for a ruling on representation eligibility. Please note that students may not represent Belarus or Russia at the International History Olympiad, but students from these countries are welcome to attend as independent students if they fulfill other qualifying criteria. For further information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.