A Summary of Current Plans for Field Trips at the 2022 International History Olympiad
The following field trips are currently planned for the 2022 International History Olympiad. The full-day trip scheduled for New York City on July 31, concluding with the Closing Ceremonies on the USS Intrepid is mandatory for all participants. All other field trips are optional.
1. All-Day Tour of Manhattan / Closing Ceremonies on the USS Intrepid
- Travel by bus from Princeton to Manhattan. Brief stops on the way at the Stonewall Inn, Flatiron Building, and UN Headquarters (neither includes tours). Leave 7:45am. Snacktime at 10am with New York-style bagels provided on the bus. Arrive at Empire State building at 10:30am.
- Empire State Building visit from 10:30-11:30am.
- Walk to Times Square, Rockefeller Center, and St. Patrick’s Cathedral from 11:45-1:00pm
- Bus transfer to Central Park West followed by foodtruck-provided picnic lunch in Central Park from 1:00pm-2:30pm
- New York City History Exam (optional) from 2:00pm-2:30pm
- Visit to Metropolitan Museum of Art from 2:30pm-5:00pm
- Art History Bee Finals at the Metropolitan Museum of Art from 4:30pm-5:00pm
- Early New York-style pizza dinner in Central Park from 5:15pm-6:00pm
- Bus transfer to the USS Intrepid from 5:45-6:30pm
- Tour the USS Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum from 6:00pm-7:30pm
- Aerospace History Bee Finals on the flight deck of the USS Intrepid from 7:30-8:00pm
- Closing Ceremonies on the USS Intrepid for Elementary and Middle School Divisions from 8:10-9:10pm
- Closing Reception with dessert on the USS Intrepid for Junior Varsity and Varsity Divisions 8:10-9:10pm
- Closing Ceremonies on the USS Intrepid for Junior Varsity and Varsity Divisions from 9:20-10:20pm
- Closing Reception with dessert on the USS Intrepid for Elementary and Middle School 9:20-10:00pm
- Leave Intrepid to return to Princeton (Departures from 10pm-10:45pm; arrival from 11:15pm-Midnight)
- Admission to the USS Intrepid for parents, siblings, and other non-competing guests will be by paid tickets only. This will include drinks (wine and beer included), dessert, a visit to the museum, and the Ceremonies. The first 500 students who register are guaranteed access to 2 tickets each. After that, tickets will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
2. Princeton University Tour (including Princeton University Art Museum) This trip will be offered several times throughout the week.
This will include an official campus tour provided by university guides. Sites include Nassau Hall (former seat of government of the USA), Firestone Library, Princeton University Chapel, Frist Campus Center, School of Public and International Affairs, and more. Afterwards, there will be an opportunity to spend an hour either exploring the town or the Princeton University Art Museum.
3. Lower Manhattan Morning trip which can be combined with afternoon Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island trip.
- Travel by bus from Princeton to Staten Island Ferry Terminal. (7:30am-9:00am). Breakfast on the bus.
- Take the ferry to the tip of Lower Manhattan with outstanding views of Manhattan, the Brooklyn Bridge, and the Statue of Liberty en route. (9:00am-10:00am)
- 2.3 mile / 3 hour walking tour begins including the following stops.
- Fraunces Tavern
- Battery Park
- Skyscraper Museum (20 minutes at the museum)
- Charging Bull Statue
- New York Stock Exchange and Wall Street
- Trinity Church
- Zuccotti Park
- National September 11 Memorial and Museum (40 minutes at the museum)
- Federal Hall
- New York City Hall (finish at 1pm)
- Lunch on the bus (either back to Princeton or en route to Statue of Liberty Ferry if doing all day trip); arrive back at Princeton at 2:30
4. Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island Afternoon trip which can be combined with Lower Manhattan trip. Return to Westin Princeton at 7pm
5. UN Headquarters and Grand Central Station Morning trip which can be combined with Museum of Modern Art trip.
6. Museum of Modern Art Afternoon trip which can be combined with Grand Central Station and UN Headquarters trip. Return to Westin Princeton at 6:30pm
7. NYU, Columbia, Greenwich Village & Harlem Full day trip (half-day option not available)
8. Broadway Show Evening trip (costs extra)
9. Philadelphia (either half day or full day)
- Half day (morning) includes Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, National Constitution Center, Benjamin Franklin Museum, Independence National Historical Park and other sites pertaining to Colonial America, Revolutionary America, and the early years of the Republic.
- Full day option include an afternoon tour of the University of Pennsylvania and/or a visit to either the Academy of Natural Sciences or the Franklin Institute.